Peter’s Top 20 Albums of 2016
Hey, everyone! It usually takes me a few weeks into January to compile my best of lists for music. I have been doing it for the past few years on my personal Facebook page, so with this being the first January this site has been active, I’m posting it here!
I’m not running down the albums or doing reviews on them as the majority of these I discussed in my Treats of the Week features and videos. Go take a look at my past features to get more insight on these albums. There is also a video embedded at the end for those who want to check it out, too!
I have to say, this was a tough year for me to narrow down my top 20. The albums in my top 10 were without question, but moving stuff around from the 100 or so new releases I bought this year to fit into the top 11-20 was difficult. As well, I couldn’t list the reissues on vinyl or CDs that I also purchased because the actual music didn’t come out in 2016. That was hard, too because there were so many quality reissue packages that came out (like the Metallica box sets and the care they took with any Death reissues).
I’m also not saying that one band is better than the other here. My picks are based on what I’ve spun the most and what really resonated with me in 2016 for whatever reason. Maybe the release floored me with the band’s abilities. Maybe the release came at the right time and helped me deal with something. Maybe the release was so damn catchy I couldn’t stop listening to it. Each album has its own merit that I go into in my past features you can read.
As well, I know there were many quality releases that a) I just didn’t get around to listening to or b) I just didn’t know a band or release existed – hence why I like getting Decibel and Terrorizer’s year end issues as I go through all the bands and releases I missed (that’s how I found out about Khemmis and Sergeant Thunderhoof last year).
Here are my top 20 albums of 2016. Feel free to leave your top albums or debate anything in the comment section below or on my Facebook page!
20. Abbath – Abbath (Season of Mist)
19. The Dandy Warhols – Distortland (Dine Alone)
18. Blood Incantation – Starspawn (Dark Descent)
17. Inquisition – Bloodshed Across the Empyrean Altar Beyond the Celestial Zenith
(Season of Mist)
16. Chthe’ilist – Le Dernier Crépuscule (Profound Lore)
15. Asphyx – Incoming Death (Century Media)
14. Khemmis – The Hunted (20 Buck Spin)
13. Astronoid – Air (Blood Music)
12. Alcest – Kodama (Prophecy)
11. Anthrax – For All Kings (Nuclear Blast)
10. Revocation – Great is Our Sin (Metal Blade Records)
9. GosT – Non Pardisi (Blood Music)
8. Miasmal – Tides of Omniscience (Century Media)
7. Convulse – Cycle of Revenge (Svart)
6. The Monkees – Good Times! (Rhino)
5. Devin Townsend Project – Transendence (Inside Out)
4. Gojira – Magma (Roadrunner)
3. The Dillinger Escape Plan – Dissociation (Party Smasher)
2. Mesarthim – Isolate & Pillars EP (Avantgarde)
1. Kvelertak –Nattesferd (Roadrunner)
* Props to other excellent releases that I just couldn’t add to the list by Gorguts, Aborted, Amon Amarth, Gruesome, Incantation, Band of Skulls, Deftones, Obscura, Surgical Meth Machine, Conan, Rival Sons, Rotting Christ, Cliteater, Devildriver, Nonpoint, Pelander, Animals As Leaders, Death Angel, Grand Magus, Ghost (it was an EP with one new song, so I could not put it in my top 20), Opeth, Metallica, Korn, Obituary (2 new songs and live tracks), Darkthrone, Testament, Vader, Mithras, Ihsahn, Dragged Into Sunlight/Gnaw Their Tongues, Nails.
**Props as well to Mondo for releasing the Castlevania NES soundtrack on 10” vinyl (and continuing to go through the games this year). Excellent purchase!
Like I said, many of these releases (both in the top 20 and the honourable mentions) can be found in previous Treats of the Week features and videos. Check em out if you haven’t yet. As well, you can find some of these releases and more over at Mad Rush Media!
Thanks for reading!